I am so excited to announce the launch of my new ebooklet Lessons from the Hen House. This book is the second in the Lessons from the Homestead series. Last year I wrote Lessons from the Seed Catalog. Lessons from the Tree House is almost completed; and I have about 5 or 6 more in my head.
If you and your children enjoy watching your backyard flock–whether chickens, ducks, geese, or turkeys–you will definitely enjoy the lessons found in this ebooklet. Over 50 ways to study math, science, language, art, home economics, and more are included.
Unsure? Here are a few examples:
- If your family wants a broiler for Sunday dinner every Sunday for a year, how many broilers would you need to process?
- Write and illustrate a short story about a chicken. You might want to read the books recommended in the following section first to glean some ideas.
- Time how long it takes a worker to feed the chickens each day; decide on an hourly wage and calculate how much a worker would earn in a week or month.
- To test an egg for freshness, you drop it into a bowl of water. If it sinks, it is good. If it floats, it is bad. If it stands on end, it is somewhere in between. Why does this happen? Research this and write a paper about your findings.
- Dissect a chicken. Sketch and label your findings. You may use one of the books in the resource section to help you identify the organs.
- Create an instructional video of the butchering process.
If you’re still with me, and would like to have your own copy of Lessons from the Hen House, then you are in luck! I’m holding a drawing for a free copy. To enter the drawing you must be a follower of this blog. With that out of the way, you may do one or all of the following. You will receive one chance per entry. The deadline to enter is Friday, March 9th at midnight and the winner will be announced on Monday the 12th. So with no further rambling from me, here is how to enter:
- Leave a comment below.
- Subscribe to the Lessons from the Homestead newsletter.
- Subscribe to the Lessons from the Homestead blog.
- Like the Lessons from the Homestead Facebook fan page.
- Blog, Tweet, or post on Facebook about this giveaway.
- Agree to review Lessons from the Hen House on your blog during the months of March or April.